About Dr. V
Dr. Jessica Vogelsang is one of the most widely read veterinarians on the web. A graduate of the prestigious UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine with experience in both emergency and general practice, Dr. V- as she is known on her website- started her award winning website pawcurious in 2009 as a way to share her love of animals with the world. Quickly recognized as an entertaining and informative voice in the pet world, Dr. V has become a sought-after contributor in print, video, and radio.
Dr. V is a skilled communicator known for making the complicated accessible, as a regular contributing author on sites such as pet360, Good Dog Magazine, Studio One Networks, dvm360, and Petfinder. She has been featured in multiple national outlets such as Ladies Home Journal, Outside Magazine, yahoo, and USA Today. Her first novel, All Dogs Go To Kevin, was picked up at auction by Grand Central Publishing (a division of the prestigious Hachette Book Group) and will be published in fall 2014.
Dr. V’s specialty is taking complex topics and presenting them in an accessible manner to the general audience, as evidenced by her most recent viral post “5 Things to Know About the Vet ER,” which received over 50,000 unique views in the first 2 days online. In addition to her writing, Dr. V’s personable demeanor and energy are a natural fit for video, and she is often spotted talking pets on Fox 5 San Diego and at the annual Helen Woodward Animal Center telethon. She was most recently spotted on ABC’s “The Lookout” reminding pet owners that clip-in hair extensions for dogs are not an integral necessity for the human-animal bond.
Dr. V’s medical experience spans over a decade in both general and emergency practice. As an advocate for compassionate end of life care, Dr. V is a practicing veterinarian at Paws into Grace, developing San Diego’s most comprehensive pet hospice program. A believer in volunteerism, she has volunteered extensively in local shelters and through her international volunteer work with World Vets.
Professional Memberships and Training
Dr. V is one of a small group of veterinary and journalism experts to have earned the title of Certified Veterinary Journalist through the American Society of Veterinary Journalists. As a pain management advocate, she completed a comprehensive course in veterinary acupuncture through the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society early in her career. Her professional affiliations and memberships include:
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- San Diego County Veterinary Medical Association
- American Society of Veterinary Journalists
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
- International Association of Animal Hospice and Palliative Care
- International Veterinary Academy of Pain Management
- World Vets
As the parent of two young children herself, Dr. V quickly realized how many good pet owners were overwhelmed with the responsibility of having a pet in the same house as children. Guilt, as opposed to concise resources and help with problem-solving, was the only thing that met many of these young families when they asked for help. Dr. V is committed to the concept of being a true ‘family vet’- helping parents juggling children and pets come up with realistic goals and solutions to keep the entire family safe and happy.
- Author: Articles and links to external blogs where Dr. Vogelsang regularly contributes
- Expert: Dr. Vogelsang on the air and in the press as a pet expert
- Speaker: Dr. Vogelsang’s speaking engagements
- Brand Ambassador/PR: Brand relationships
* Disclaimer: The information contained here is intended solely for the general information of the reader. It is not intended to diagnose health problems or to take the place of professional medical care. The information contained herein is neither intended to dictate what constitutes reasonable, appropriate or best care for any given health issue, nor is it intended to be used as a substitute for the independent judgment of a veterinarian for any given health issue.