Every once in a while I do something strangely domestic, like spend an afternoon making marshmallow Legoman head pops for my kid’s birthday.
I am not one who normally functions in that realm of aprons and the latest issue of Martha Stewart Living, so this is, like, a big deal. For me to spend an afternoon with my printed out instructions from Bakerella and a Michael’s bag, that represents a big commitment. So needless to say, I was very protective of these marshmallow pops. They have to make it until Sunday, and standing between them and success is a houseful of dogs.
I had to leave them out to dry after covering them in candy coating, so I very conscientiously moved them to the very far back portion of the counter. That seemed safe enough. No dogs can reach it.
But I hadn’t counted on the cat.
I caught him RED HANDED, face buried in a pop. He ate three. May I remind you, those pops are composed of marshmallow and candy coating. No tuna. Sugar. What the heck? And to add insult to injury, it triggered just the kind of response one would expect in a food allergic cat whose extreme dietary sensitivities manifest via GI distress, so then I had a magnificent neon mess in the garage to deal with.
I know one shouldn’t think unkind thoughts on National Hug Your Cat Day, but I did anyway.