I don’t know what is going on with Charlie Sheen, nor do I want to know. Whatever the problem is, I wish only that he would withdraw from the public eye and deal with it. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the plan. I can’t open my news websites or turn on the TV or listen to the radio without being subjected to the latest soundbite and there is no end in sight.
Fortunately, I have a solution. In honor of Petfinder.com’s 15th anniversary, they are designating March 15th as “Adopt the Internet Day“. The goal is to spread the word about adoptable pets by staging a concentrated covert op on the web, plastering it with happy tails and available pets. When I think of ‘winning’, this is more my speed.
(I wanted to call the day “Wrestle the Web back from Overexposed Celebrities Day” but I think everyone else will be sticking with the “Adopt the Internet” nomenclature, so I guess I will too.)
A bunch of big name websites have already signed on, such as the venerable Cheezburger, PeoplePets, and Fido Friendly. Want to participate? Courtesy of Petfinder, here’s how:
What You Can Do
- Add a badge (below) to your Web site to show your support.
- Take our pledge that you will tell one person about pet adoption on March 15. By pledging, you’ll enter for a chance to win one of 10 Pet Hair Eraser®Vacuums from BISSELL.
- Caption a Petfinder adoptable-pet photo on ICanHasCheezburger! The photos with the best captions will be featured on the ICanHasCheezburger.com homepage on March 15.
- On March 15, donate your Facebook status and photo to an adoptable Petfinder pet. Simply replace your photo with one from the Adopt-the-Internet All-Stars galleryand post one of these messages:
- More than 320,000 pets are waiting for homes on Petfinder.com. Help Petfinder Adopt the Internet today and find forever homes for as many as possible!
- I adopted my pet from Petfinder and now I want to help get this pet adopted! If you want to help pets in need of forever homes, please repost this!
- On March 15, share an adoptable Petfinder pet on Twitter with the hashtag #adopttheinternet.
- Add a link to your blog, Facebook or Twitter post to this page! (Come back on March 15 to find out how.)
For my part, I will chronicle my trip to the Boston rescue to bring home my new dog! OK, that is wishful thinking. Someday, though.
But this is even cooler! I would like to feature some of you and your amazing adopted pets throughout the day on March 15th. If you’d like a chance to show off your own adopted pet on pawcurious- any pet, not just dogs and cats- here’s the scoop:
- Pick your one favorite photo, 250 KB or less please (huge pictures tend to crash my e-mail!)
- e-mail the photo with the subject “Win” and a few paragraphs about your adopted pet to drv (at) pawcurious dotcom by Friday, March 11th.
- I will do my very best to include everyone and let your amazing animals shine!