I don’t know what is going on with Charlie Sheen, nor do I want to know. Whatever the problem is, I wish only that he would withdraw from the public eye and deal with it. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the plan. I can’t open my news websites or turn on the TV or listen to the radio without being subjected to the latest soundbite and there is no end in sight.
Fortunately, I have a solution. In honor of Petfinder.com’s 15th anniversary, they are designating March 15th as “Adopt the Internet Day“. The goal is to spread the word about adoptable pets by staging a concentrated covert op on the web, plastering it with happy tails and available pets. When I think of ‘winning’, this is more my speed.
(I wanted to call the day “Wrestle the Web back from Overexposed Celebrities Day” but I think everyone else will be sticking with the “Adopt the Internet” nomenclature, so I guess I will too.)
A bunch of big name websites have already signed on, such as the venerable Cheezburger, PeoplePets, and Fido Friendly. Want to participate? Courtesy of Petfinder, here’s how:
What You Can Do
- Add a badge (below) to your Web site to show your support.
- Take our pledge that you will tell one person about pet adoption on March 15. By pledging, you’ll enter for a chance to win one of 10 Pet Hair Eraser®Vacuums from BISSELL.
- Caption a Petfinder adoptable-pet photo on ICanHasCheezburger! The photos with the best captions will be featured on the ICanHasCheezburger.com homepage on March 15.
- On March 15, donate your Facebook status and photo to an adoptable Petfinder pet. Simply replace your photo with one from the Adopt-the-Internet All-Stars galleryand post one of these messages:
- More than 320,000 pets are waiting for homes on Petfinder.com. Help Petfinder Adopt the Internet today and find forever homes for as many as possible!
- I adopted my pet from Petfinder and now I want to help get this pet adopted! If you want to help pets in need of forever homes, please repost this!
- On March 15, share an adoptable Petfinder pet on Twitter with the hashtag #adopttheinternet.
- Add a link to your blog, Facebook or Twitter post to this page! (Come back on March 15 to find out how.)
For my part, I will chronicle my trip to the Boston rescue to bring home my new dog! OK, that is wishful thinking. Someday, though.
But this is even cooler! I would like to feature some of you and your amazing adopted pets throughout the day on March 15th. If you’d like a chance to show off your own adopted pet on pawcurious- any pet, not just dogs and cats- here’s the scoop:
- Pick your one favorite photo, 250 KB or less please (huge pictures tend to crash my e-mail!)
- e-mail the photo with the subject “Win” and a few paragraphs about your adopted pet to drv (at) pawcurious dotcom by Friday, March 11th.
- I will do my very best to include everyone and let your amazing animals shine!
Peggy @Peggy's Pet Place says
Wow so many things we can do! I adopted my dog from Petfinder and always like to spread the word about their great site.
Count me in for a bunch of those. And since I just adopted a pup using Petfinder a few months ago, I’ll definitely be sending you a pic and story! 🙂
Caren Gittleman says
Even my “big name” website has signed up!!!! Woooo hooo! My site isn’t a big name website??? Ohhhhhh that’s right! I was dreaming again. MOL!!!
Well, my small site signed up and as they say…..”size doesn’t matter”….or…. does it? Ohhhh wait! That’s a whole other topic altogether! MOL!!! Anyway regardless of size, let’s just ALL help Petfinder spread the word!! The animals are what matter! 🙂
I’ll be taking part, for sure. I just posted a week-long blog hop to feature adoptable pets and this fits in perfectly.
My boy Gordy was adopted from a rescue group. I don’t have a blog, but am always telling people that adopting a dog from a rescue group/shelter not only helps the dog, but it makes your heart happy too.
Aw, I thought that sentence about the Boston rescue was true! I love a roadtrip with a pet at the end. I accompanied my girlfriend on a 500 mile (each way) trip to meet a dog. She ended up coming home with a different dog, but all was good.
Jane H says
LOL. You know, the day you DO decide to take that trip to Boston I’ll be waiting there to meet you! (Or NYC for that matter.) I love what you’re doing with the day. Thank you so much for participating!
Hawk aka BrownDog says
I’m the first dog my Humans ever had that wasn’t adopted. My Human loves rescue dogs and not only already has the Adopt the Internet badge, but every Thursday is dedicated to a Petfinder needy dog, sometimes more than one.
Y’all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog
I will be participating for sure! I don’t have a blog, but I can most certainly tweet adoptables all day long! I found Clyde on Petfinder and adopted Alley after seeing her in a shelter’s public service spot on a local TV channel. Getting their pics ready to send tonight!
Nicole Hamilton says
We’re here to help spread the word about PetFinders.com 2011 Adopt The Internet Day also. Just let us know what we can do.
Your Friends at,
Health Technology Professional Products, Inc.
I’m going to tweak the Facebook posting and instead use one of the kitties at our local shelter. I take pictures of the cats and post them to Petfinder and another local adoption website.