As Mother’s Day approaches, I look forward to the carefully painted foam picture frame and the 10 inch bead bracelet my kids have made for me and not so carefully hidden away. I also can’t wait for the gummy omelet and watered down mimosas at the overcrowded Mother’s Day brunch. I mean that sincerely. It is a rite of passage shared the world over, born of love and gratitude, and I wouldn’t trade my lot in life for the world.
That being said, coming into my seventh Mother’s Day as an ‘official’ honoree, I can now fully appreciate the advantages of wearing the pet mom hat instead of the human one. So with that, I present my Top Ten Reasons being a pet mom rules:
10. ER waits under 7 hours.
9. You can’t board a human while you take off for the weekend.
8. No PTA moms to make you feel inadequate.
7. Pets never complain that “We just had that for dinner two days ago!”
6. Pets can’t sass you back.
5. Potty training only takes a month or so.
4. Obedience training is way cheaper than college.
3. They never tell you that you’re embarrassing them.
2. They don’t care if their collar is designer or not.
and the number one reason being a pet mom rules:
Your pet is always, always happy to see you.
To all the moms out there, no matter who you love: the bipeds, the quadripeds, the feathered, furry, bald or otherwise- thank you for your love and care for all the creatures on earth! Happy Mother’s Day!